Saturday, December 10, 2011

Steppin' out

Woo hoo!  Finally,  a little running with no pain.  Yesterday, Day 19 since the marathon, I ran 2.36 miles in 21:30.   Ran on the treadmills at UCO.  This morning, after coffee at Panera Bread with my running pals,  Mark and Brent, I ran again on the treadmills:  2.63 in 22:30.  So far so good.  Rest day tomorrow then back to the Wellness Center again next week.  Baby steps.  Think I will just do two days running, followed by one day off as the schedule for the next week with gradually increasing mileage. No more than 3 miles at a time. After that if the weather is decent I might try a bit of road running.   Lord willing, by the first of the year, I'll be up to running 4 and 5 miles at a time during the week and doing 8 or 9 easy miles on Saturdays with my doctor buddies.

Rest is often the best cure for an injury.  The body needs time to heal. Stretching is helpful as a preventive measure. Increases range of motion. Always important to warm up before stretching. Strength training also plays an important role in helping to prevent injury.  Not talking heavy weights though.   Calisthenics are a good way to go.  Pushups, pullups, crunches, lunges are useful for increasing strength.  I rarely have back pain, even with many hours a day in front of a computer, and I believe this is due to a routine of doing pushups, pullups and other core strengthening exercises.

Well tonight in another first for the Baylor Nation, Robert Griffin III will be almost certainly receiving the Heisman trophy.  Another milestone in a great year for Baylor sports.  Sic'em Bears!

No comments:

Post a Comment