Friday, December 16, 2011

bummed

Sorry for not posting in a few days.  I had some sort of virus and was sick for three days.  Yuck.  Finally got back to the treadmill at the Wellness Center today, with 22 minutes programmed on the treadmill, 0.5 incline, starting out at about 6.5 mph then quickly upping it to 7mph.  Unfortunately this crazy leg of mine started giving me a little discomfort and finally I called it quits with 4 minutes remaining.  Not sure if the time laying up at home sick had anything to do with it.  Felt a little bit of the discomfort here just watching a movie.  Now having some serious doubts about OKC.  Don't think this is my iliotibial band.  Had issues with that once before and I think this is different.  The iliotibial band attaches just below the knee on the outside of the lower leg.  This pain is in the same general area so it does make me wonder, but having had that issue before I don't remember it feeling quite like this. 

My thought earlier today was this:  if I can recover enough to be able to run 5 miles, outside, by January 2nd, then I believe I can train to the level I want, in time for the OKC marathon on April 29.  I really like to have 16 weeks to train.  A marathon is not something you want to tackle without being fully prepared.  And with a goal of 3 hours 30 minutes I especially want to be prepared.  If I'm not healthy by January 2, then I have to rethink my marathon plans.  Maybe look into a late Spring/ early Summer marathon.  Maybe Swan Lake in South Dakota, June 10 or Marathon to Marathon in Iowa, June 9.  Definitely not interested in the Andy Payne held at Lake Overholser on Memorial Day. Way too hot and steamy that time of year here in Oklahoma. 40 to 45 degrees Fahrenheit is about ideal for a marathon.   I've found www.marathonguide.com is the best place to look up marathons.  Sort by date or by geography.

Peace and Grace....

No comments:

Post a Comment