Saturday, July 28, 2012

Foot pain - Extensor Tendonitus

Adidas Adizero Adios
Well the Olympics got underway today.  So I spent much of the day watching coverage.  Started watching this morning after I got back from my long run.  Ended up cutting my run a bit short.  My schedule called for a run of 17 miles but I called it quits at at the halfway point.  Foot pain.  Seems the pain in my right foot that I mentioned last week is extensor tendonitus. http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/foot-heel-pain/extensor-tendonitis Or at least that's what it seems to be.  Started last Saturday during the last seven or eight miles of my run.  Pain across the top of my right foot. Though I haven't noticed any swelling. I was wearing my Adidas's.   Monday I ran five miles in my Saucony's and had no problem.  Then Tuesday did a 10 mile run in my Adidas Adios(es) and the pain returned.  Part of the problem apparently is the Adidas Adizero Adios shoes were a bit too tight across the top of my foot.  The Saucony Grid Type A4s are bit lighter and tied a bit looser.  Last weekend I ordered a pair of Brooks Green Silence(s) in blue and yellow.  More room in the toe box compared to my Brooks Mach 11s and my Adidas's.  Weight about the same as the Adidas.  Heel to Toe drop is pretty similar as well.  Rested Wednesday and also Thursday to give my foot a little more time to recover.  Shoes arrived Wednesday night.  Friday ran five miles in the new shoes, a little bit of pain but not much of an issue.  The literature says the pain is noticeable when going uphill and downhill.  Though for me the uphill is much less of an issue than the downhill.  So today with the pain starting after the first mile and half or so I was debating whether to go the full distance or cut it short.  Finally decided to err on the side of caution and ended at 8.5 miles.  Since yesterday I have been doing some stretching exercises to stretch my calf muscles.  I have also been do some toe extensor exercises, found here: http://www.wayne.k12.in.us/athletictraining/pdf/PDF%20Rehab%20Files/Ben%20Davis%20Student%20Handout-Medial%20Tibilial%20Stress%20Syndrome.pdf
Saucony Grid Type A4
Brooks Green Silence
Tonight I took some ibuprofen,  not really feeling much pain, but thought it might be helpful as it is an anti-inflammatory.  Hopefully on Monday, after a day of rest on Sunday, my foot will be feeling better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment