Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Training for Green Bay

A lot has happened over the last year.  The Route 66 Marathon of 2013 did not go as planned.  Extremely cold.  Temperatures in the low 20s to start.  The training that I thought would be sufficient was not sufficient.  Apparently running sub marathon pace training runs three times a week was not enough to run a sub 3:30 marathon. Rather I crashed and burned (froze actually).  4:20.  My slowest marathon ever. 

Got married in November of 2014.  A couple of weeks later I ran the Half Marathon at Route 66 in Tulsa.  Managed a 1:37:49.  Not quite as fast as a couple of years ago, but just a couple of minutes behind.  (I was not going to train for a marathon and plan a wedding with my wife to be.  So I chose the Half instead.)  And so feeling hopeful once again I have signed up for the Green Bay Marathon in May.  I think I will go with the Run Less schedule for a 3:25 marathon, though tweaked to match the lack of a track to do intervals on.  I will try to do some mile intervals.  And this time I will do some cross training rather than just resting on the non running days.  Cycling. 

I'll let you know how that goes.  And later this month training while on the road.

Happy Trails!  


No comments:

Post a Comment