Friday, October 5, 2012

5 weeks since injury, 100 days to marathon

Tomorrow morning will mark five weeks since I tweaked by right Achilles tendon.  I think I am pretty well recovered.  Now to get back on the path to my marathon goal.  Over the last two weeks I have set new PRs for 5K and 10K.  (Personal records for the past three and half years, I'm not counting the times I ran during cross country my sophomore year of high school.  I can't remember those times anyway.)  I still think I could better both of those times this month if the opportunity came along.  That said I feel like I have a good chance of running a Boston Qualifying time at the Houston Marathon.  In fact I think I may still have a shot at running a 3:15 in Houston.  Now to just figure out how best to train.   And more specifically how to gradually increase my mileage without re-injuring myself.  I have basically said goodbye to the Pfitzinger 18/70 plan.  Too many days of running and not enough time to recover.  I am looking at the FIRST training program and am easing into that this week and next.  I ran 6.3 miles on Tuesday as a tempo run.  First mile 7:55, succeeding miles were run between 7:03 and 6:31 per mile.  Wednesday rest, plus a brief orientation to some of the equipment at the Wellness Center.  Thursday another tempo run.  This time just 5 miles.  First mile 7:46, the successive miles were between 7:09 and 6:45 per mile.  Next week I'll try doing the rowing machine at the Wellness Center on Monday and Wednesday.  Guessing around 25 minutes after looking at my book, Run Less Run Fasterhttp://www.amazon.com/Runners-World-Less-Faster-Revolutionary/dp/159486649X Hopefully next week I can get up early and try the track repeats on Tuesday.  The FIRST plan has three basic runs:  1) track repeats, 2) tempo run, and 3) long run.  And at least two cross training exercise periods per week.  Tomorrow morning will be my first true long run since the day I hurt my Achilles.  A bit chilly so I'll be wearing long sleeves, gloves and a hat.  Not looking forward to running in the cold these next couple of months.  But that's what I get for signing up for a January marathon.  Well time to get to bed so I can get up early tomorrow. 

Happy trails.....

No comments:

Post a Comment