Friday, September 14, 2012

Time and the Tendon, Achilles

Well, come tomorrow morning it will be two weeks since I injured my Achilles tendon (right leg).  Over the last 13 days I have gone running just once.  Last Saturday I went to Erick, Oklahoma for the Do-Wacka-Do Trail Run.  The weather was beautiful.  Mid 60s at the start.  The run was held in the Sandy Sanders Wildlife Management Area.  I originally signed up to do the 25 K but decided it would be best not to stress my Achilles too much, so I switched to the 5 mile run.  About 20 people were there to run the 5 mile run.  The 50 K and the 25 K runs started 30 minutes earlier so I didn't see how many people participated in those.  The terrain was rugged but not too rough.  The trails were ranch roads.   Lots of short scrub mesquite bushes, with a few scattered wild flowers.  A bit hilly but not too extreme.  A few hundred feet from bottom to the mesa tops.  After the first half mile I found myself in the lead.  Just cruising along at a comfortable pace.  My Achilles was bothering me but not nearly as bad as the week before.  I reached the half way point in good time and got a cup of water from the volunteers.  One fellow asked me where everyone else was.  I told them they were about a quarter mile back.  Well after a few more miles I began to doubt I was going the right way.  Eventually I backtracked before meeting another runner.  Turned out about six runners missed a turn and got off course.  So each of us ended up running between 8 and 9 miles.  I was rather disappointed to be in the lead the whole way and not even place.   I  received no apologies from the race officials.  So took my banana, my shirt, and a bottle of water and made the long drive home. Don't think I will run this race again. 

Well in each of the discussions about Achilles tendon injuries that I read over the past couple of weeks,  the runners all stated that the recovery is a long slow process.  So, this week again no running.  But tomorrow morning I will head to Seminole for the Seminole Nation Days 5K.  http://sno-nsn.gov/index.php/culture/seminole-nation-days  Test out my legs.  Hopefully next week I can ease back into my marathon training.  A BQ time may still be a possibility for Houston. 

No comments:

Post a Comment