Sunday, May 6, 2012

Goal Setting

Well a week has passed and I am finally getting into a routine of running in the morning.  Still working on a training schedule. But I have decided on a marathon to run.   I have decided to run the Houston Marathon on January 13, 2013.  My buddy "Shack" over at theraquetshack.com suggested I set a higher goal than 3:30 for the marathon.  His suggestion was the world record for my age + one hour. The world record for a 45-49 year old man is 2 hours 14 minutes and 16 seconds,(or something like that).  Seems a little odd for a goal.  That plus one hour.  Not a round number that I can easily focus on.  And I can't say I get excited about being an hour slower than someone. Doesn't sound very impressive to say to someone, "Oh, I'm just an hour slower than the world record set by Jackson Kipngong."  An hour is long time.  My previous goal had been 3:30.  Well I discovered today that the marathon qualifying time for 45-49 year old males for the 2013 Boston Marathon has been moved back 5 minutes to 3:25.  The 40-44 time is 3:15.  So I think a more suitable and a more memorable goal is 3:15. It is challenging.  It's more of a round number.  If I run a 3:24 that would qualify me for Boston.  But to have a have a higher goal, a challenge goal is a good thing.  Gives me a little space; some extra time to stay ahead of the maximum qualifying time for Boston.

Now to work out a training schedule and some intermediate goals.  January is a long way away.  So I may try a September half marathon or full marathon to gauge my progress.  Next race will probably be the Dog Jog in Oklahoma City.  Memorial Day.

Hope to see you guys there!

No comments:

Post a Comment