Monday, November 28, 2011

Recovering from Route 66

Legs are feeling fine.  About ready to start running again.  Just a little hesitant due to the my last experience following the Route 66 Marathon.  In November of 2009 I ran on the Saturday after the marathon and had pain in both legs after 5 or 6 miles.  Ended up struggling with leg issues throughout the next several months.  Finally started running in May of the next year.  So this time I'm being a little cautious.  Since I ran hard in Tulsa, I want to be sure I give myself enough time for my legs to recover.  Hal Higdon has written that he suggests two weeks or more following a hard marathon.  I know I pushed myself pretty hard.  My goal was 3 hours 30 minutes, Boston qualifying time for my age group.  Came up just a little short.  3:32:25.   Spent some time in the medical tent afterwards.  So now I'm thinking seriously about Oklahoma City.  Just enough time to rest for a few more days and gradually build to peak for the Memorial marathon on April 29, 2012.  3:30 here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment